Icy Celebrations

As you might be aware....a spectacularly nasty ice storm hit North Texas yesterday during the day. By the time we got out of school (nope, they didn't early-dismiss us -- @#$@%) it took me a good 10 minutes to de-ice my car....it would've taken longer except I had the blessed foresight to throw my can of de-icer in my car yesterday morning. It then took me 45 minutes to drive home, via the back streets. I made a quick stop at the grocery store, and then locked myself in my house.

I spent the evening puttering around the house, hoping against hope that we would have school cancelled. As time wore on, the list of school cancellations included all of the major and minor school districts around us...except for mine.

At about 10 p.m. my phone-tree-calling-person called me to inform me of the 2-hour-delay. He said they also wanted all the teachers at school by 9. I called Jenn, and we did the math as to what time we would have to leave our houses to slide our way into la escuela by 9. Neither one of us was happy!

I really was not looking forward to sliding my way to work...only to have an empty classroom all day. (Lots of kids were pulled out of school yesterday b/c their parents wanted them home and off the streets.)

I woke up this morning to Jenn calling me...her phone-tree-calling-person had just called her to tell her WE WERE CANCELLED. I have NEVER been so excited to get a phone call at the pre-crack of dawn.

I am now going to find something to eat for breakfast...because, although my body says "hey let's go back to bed" my stomach says "NO WAY...it's past time for breakfast". Maybe I'll make some muffins...mmmmmmmmm good.

Oh yeah, this makes my 2nd day off this week. (I had to take a Therapeutic Merchandise Therapy day on Tuesday to visit the Ikea Mecca.) 3-day workweeks? I tell ya...it's not a bad gig, if you can get it!!